Gripes about /bin/sh AND /bin/csh

Tim O'Reilly tim at ora.UUCP
Sun Jun 8 21:26:34 AEST 1986

In article <143 at prairie.UUCP>, dan at prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) writes:
> >In case you haven't notice the recurring refrain in all of the above
> >response, it is this:
> >
> >	Read the manual.
> >--
> >Karl Kleinpaste
>
>           I'm not particularly pleased by an arrogant response like this.
> The fact is, that Phil read the manual, and I read the manual, and neither
> of us could find, either in the manual or by experiment, solutions to
> some of the questions for which you only have your smug refrain.
>
> 	Dan Frank
> 	    ... uwvax!geowhiz!netzer!prairie!dan
> 	    -or- dan at caseus.wisc.edu
I agree that the response wasn't the kindest.  But it did match the
agressive tone of the original posting, which basically implied that
UNIX is brain-damaged, and "why the hell should I be using this stupid
OS?"

If the original posting had in fact been the kind of simple request
for help that you claim it was, I am sure it would have received a
more acceptable response.