sh, csh, and special execution environments

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Fri Jun 13 23:15:07 AEST 1986

In article <1220 at ncoast.UUCP> allbery at ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>Quoted from <941 at uwvax.UUCP> ["Re: Gripes about /bin/sh AND /bin/csh"], by pfeiffer at uwvax.UUCP...
>+---------------
>| I have given up on creating "executable variables" in a form acceptable to both
>| rsh AND csh.
>+---------------
>Advice:  Give up.  sh and csh just ain't compatible.

You missed.  Since when does rsh use sh?  It has always used csh for
me.  The problem that pfeiffer was complaining about has to do with
quoting variable expansions so that they occur properly whether the
command is being run remotely or locally.  You have to supply an extra
level of quoting for remote commands (to deal with remote file expansion
&c).  This is especially nasty if you have `!'s in your string
somewhere.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas at utah-cs.ARPA)