Unix History

Larry McVoy larry at geowhiz.UUCP
Sat Jun 14 16:54:34 AEST 1986

In article <6780 at utzoo.UUCP> henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> Could anyone give me a short run down on lineage
>> of the major lines of UNIX? Perhaps a brief narration
>> or a family tree showing how sys V and 4.3 and such
>> are all related...
>
>If you want a *very* brief version, draw a line of development marked "V1"
>through "V8".  Between V6 and V7, draw a branch starting out "PWB" and
[etc, etc]

The best picture I've seen is by John Quartermain (sp?) in the chapter on Unix
in the *second* edition of the Peterson & Silberschatz book "Operating System
Concepts".  I think it's just what the patient ordered.
--
Larry McVoy
Arpa:  mcvoy at rsch.wisc.edu
Uucp:  {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!larry

"Just remember, wherever you go -- there you are."
 	-Buckaroo Banzai