Favorite operating systems query

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Thu Jun 26 07:20:09 AEST 1986

> 3) In regards to Unix robustness - I'll make you all a challenge: I'll bet I can
>    take a commercially available Unix (BSD based, I don't play w/ AT&T & they
>    don't play w/ me) and find twice as many ways to screw it up as you could
>    in VMS.  This means anything from kernel bugs to application bugs.

Since you have carefully excluded the AT&T Unixes, which are rather better
debugged, you've rigged the comparison.  It's no secret that 4BSD is riddled
with bugs -- what else do you expect, given its origin?  A university is not
a software house, even if a DoD contract claims that it's supposed to act
like one.  If you doubt this, point to the quality-control people at UCB.

>   ...  Look at tektronix, they claimed to
>   have a port of 4.2 with over **2000** bug fixes.  2,000??? In a distribution
>   version of Unix?  Come on...

What's odd about this?  OS/360 averaged 1000 bugs/release for a long time.
That's *unfixed* bugs, mind you.
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology