Favorite operating systems query

ramin at rtgvax.UUCP ramin at rtgvax.UUCP
Fri Jun 20 06:07:14 AEST 1986

In article <339 at valid.UUCP>, sbs at valid.UUCP (Steven Brian McKechnie Sargent) writes:

First of all, for certain applications, comparing un*x and vms would
be like comparing a three-legged hemorrhoidal cat and the earwax inside
Zaphod Beeblebrox's left ear(s) (go figure...)

For real-time applications (I know, you've probably heard this one before),
the standard (BSD 4.[23], S[V7etc...]) don't, how shall I say,
"lend themselves" to real-time processing... Most notably, a decent paging
mechanism, proper locks, a fine resolution clock, shared memory (or
memory mapping to disk) and other distributed support are missing...
(On the flip side, ultrix 1.2, which claims to be BSD4.3 plus SVID enhancements
has the shared memory, and semaphore support, so things are looking up there).
There is also a great deal of resistance to having to play with the kernel
when adding support for some new type of peripheral... And many many more...

On the other hand, VMS has some dandies too: Process creation is not unlike
pulling a knee-cap out. Mailboxes are S-L-O-W, and mapping to disk-files
by more than one process is not encouraged if both are writing...
DECnet's user-level interface (as in DCL) is bogus as hell (YOU MEAN
I HAVE TO TYPE MY PASSWORD ON THE SCREEN EVERYTIME I COPY FILES ACROSS?
GO PROXY YOURSELF YOUNG MAN!!!). DCL is a joke of a shell (though it's
getting better) with a funny idea for redirection...
File naming syntax is VERY convoluted (there is actually a system call to
VALIDATE the syntax of a filename!!!)... And many many more...

Now that I'm done bitching about the two systems I must point that this
type of questioning is rather misleading since preference for each system
is basically a matter of use and a sprinkling of faith... If you like to
see source code of the command you're using, don't look at vms (unless
you have strong micro-fiche reading eyes). If you like your program to
getup and run when you buy it, try vms (:-). Religiously, most will say
that VMS is THE system for "serious" work, i.e. vs. play with source all
day... If you're the end-user vms gives you more robust software, but
less variety and definitely less support if things break. If you're
the developer unix lets you do so many things faster and easier...

So in conclusion.... I would buy a unix system with a vms cross-tool
set. i.e. where I could develop on a unix, but the end result would
run on vms...(:-)

This is all too silly... I'm going out for a drink...

ramin...

--
: alias: ramin firoozye'               :   USps: Systems Control Inc.        :