Non-Gripes about /bin/sh

Craig Wylie craig at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 20:13:19 AEST 1986

In article <133 at danews.UUCP> lvc at danews.UUCP writes:
>I think you'll find that the shell is far more powerful
>than the manual page would lead one to believe.  I've been
>using it for 4 years and I'm still learning things about it.
>I don't know about csh, as I've never used it.
>
>   [Edited out shell script]
>
>If you can get U of W to buy the code for the Korn Shell (only
>$2000 for the source) it's well worth the money.

I would suggest that people try the msh from :

	...!mcvax!ukc!cl-jenny!mb		/* UUCP */

	mb%cam.cl at ucl.cs.ARPA

	mb at uk.ac.cam.cl				/* JANET */

mb is Mike Burrows.

msh is a sh program with complete command line editing and
shell functions  and its  ----   FREE (or it was when I got a copy :-)).

I like it a lot, it runs on our vax (4.2BSD) with no problems and I am
about to port it to a sun 2 (no problems here as it very nearly works anyway ).

A source license is required for the source,
although I think it is available as executable code as well,
and it is available for at least
4.2  S5 R? 2.9 ...

Craig.
--
UUCP:	 ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!craig| Post: University of Lancaster,
DARPA:	 craig%lancs.comp at ucl-cs          |	  Department of Computing,