sh changes

John Bruner jdb at mordor.ARPA
Tue Jun 24 03:18:30 AEST 1986

>> I am delighted that Sun 3.0 uses the System V shell.  (Shell functions
>> on my Sun at last!)  However, it is not completely compatible with the
>> previous shell.  For instance, the Berkeley-added "limit" command is
>> not implemented.
>
>"limit" command?  I just tried typing "limit" at a Sun 2.3 machine's Bourne
>shell, and it said "limit: not found".  I looked in the source to it, and to
>the 4.2BSD and 4.3betaBSD Bourne shell source, and didn't see any "limit"
>command.  Is it a late addition to 4.3BSD?

Oops.  No, although I haven't seen the released 4.3BSD source yet, I
don't think "limit" was ever added to "sh" at Berkeley.  The "sh" I used
on my VAX until recently wasn't vanilla BSD.  I was not careful enough
when I verified the "limit" command on the VAX here.

I could have sworn that I verified this feature was in the vanilla Sun 2
shell before I posted my followup.  I am embarrassed to admit that I was
a source of misinformation.
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb at mordor [jdb at s1-c.ARPA]	(415) 422-0758