Favorite operating systems query

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.UUCP
Tue Jun 24 09:30:42 AEST 1986

From: stevem at fai.UUCP (Steve Minneman)
>...There's no graceful way with UNIX to add a machine and not find that
>you have to segregate some users from others.

Wrong. Try SUN's NFS. For the past 6 months the Computer Science
Department's machine here (BU-CS) has been two SUN3/180s. It doesn't
matter which one you log into as all disks are transparently visible.

In fact, our terminal switch (U/B Net/1) randomizes which you land
on and I have yet to hear a complaint.

Being as SUN's NFS is starting to appear on many, many vendor's UNIX's
this is not a narrow view of the world either (how many vendors are
running VMS's clustering??) NFS also doesn't require a lot of fancy,
expensive hardware of (given NFS) questionable value and it's bundled
into the base price of the system. You just need an ethernet which you
probably planned on having anyhow.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University