multiplexing terminals...

Brandon Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Jun 17 08:11:26 AEST 1986

Expires:

Quoted from <562 at bcsaic.UUCP> ["Re: windows on normal terminals"], by michaelm at bcsaic.UUCP (michael maxwell)...
+---------------
| In article <395 at dg_rtp.UUCP> throopw at dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) writes:
| If I understand correctly, part of the reason that large bit-mapped screens
| (like the Sun I'm priveleged to be typing on now) are so expensive is the cost
| of producing a CRT w/ the requisite resolution; the memory for each pixel is
| presumably less of a problem these days (?).  It's always seemed to me that
| there must be a way of setting up a number of 80x24 CRTs to have at least
| some of the advantages of the multiple (8 1/2) screens I have on my Sun right
| now.  Sure, you couldn't have a single large screen w/ 200 columns x 100 lines,
| but you could at least have multiple editor windows (each larger than 1/8th of
| a 80x24 screen), a screen dedicated to a running program that you're debugging,
| etc., and file transfer between them.  Just giving one user multiple terminals
| is not sufficient, because he would probably rather not have 8 keyboards; so
| there would have to be some easy way of shifting the keyboard from one screen
| to another (maybe by numbered function keys, which I stubbornly refuse to use
| for editors etc.!)
| Surely someone else has thought of this.  Any experience?

Indeed someone has.  It's called ``shell layers.''

Unfortunately, the only terminal on which it's worth sh*t is -- YOU GOT IT!
A large, expensive bitmapped-screen terminal, yclept DMD5620.

It's enough to make a Unix person throw up.

--Brandon
--
ihnp4!sun!cwruecmp!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery at Case.CSNET ncoast!tdi2!brandon
(ncoast!tdi2!root for business) 6615 Center St. #A1-105, Mentor, OH 44060-4101