sh changes

David Langdon dml at rabbit1.UUCP
Fri Jun 20 07:59:08 AEST 1986

>      ${parameter:-word}
>      ${parameter:=word}
>      ${parameter:?word}
>      ${parameter:+word}
>
> In case you missed it, the difference is the extra colon in the Sun 3.0
> system. Questions: when and why was this change made?  Are there any
> other variants of Unix with this change? Has anybody's command file
> broken on account of this?
>
> 	Ken

Don't know the real answer to this, but from what ksh (korn shell)
documentation I have seen, the Sun 3.0 sh uses the same syntax as the
korn shell (which is supposed to be sh compatible).

David Langdon    Rabbit Software Corp.

...!ihnp4!{cbmvax,cuuxb}!hutch!dml
...!psuvax1!burdvax!hutch!dml

(215) 647-0440  7 Great Valley Parkway East  Malvern PA 19355