Networking and such

Bob Devine devine at vianet.UUCP
Sat Jun 28 04:46:17 AEST 1986

In article <1632 at brl-smoke.ARPA> wmartin at brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>I had hoped that the VAXCluster concept would someday work under UNIX
>and provide something like this; now, I don't know, given the seeming
>disinterest in ever getting VAXCluster to work for UNIX and also for the
>government-related concern of vendor independence (we never know, when
>we go out on a new procurement, just what we will end up getting, so we
>cannot specify "VAX" for example; only performance equivalent to <some
>specifications>).
>
>Any gurus out there think this dream is ever likely to become reality?

  While I hardly qualify as a guru on the topic of DEC market direction,
I have a feeling that DEC will one day offer Ultrix on a VAX cluster.
Why?  Simply because they will be able to sell much more of their boxes.
We've just seen the result of an enormous R&D effort with the introduction
of the 8x00 line.  Judging from past introductions, it will be several
years before another big jump is done.  In the mean time, they have to
provide something in the unending MIPS race.  What other direction can they go?

Bob