windows on normal terminals

Jim Kempf kempf at hplabsc.UUCP
Wed Jun 18 08:53:30 AEST 1986

(extract foot from mouth and place on floor)

>Of course, if you're in academia, you don't have to justify
>your capital equipment costs, except to the NSF, and they'll
>generally come up with the cash if your project looks good
>enough.

This rather cavalier comment did, in fact, come from my fingers,
for which I'd like to apologize. What I meant to say was that
people in academia SHOULDN'T have to justify their capital
equipment costs, except to an appropriate funding agency which
should come up with the cash if the project looks good. I am
fully well sensitive to the problems universities are having
with funding these days (what with SDI eating up a bigger and
bigger portion of the research budget). The point of my posting
was that current data on productivity do not justify personal
workstations on cost grounds alone, since they are not cost
competitive with terminals. Therefore, a windowing system may
make sense.

Again, apologies to any of my academic collegues who may have
taken offense at this admittedly cavalier remark.

		Jim Kempf		hplabs!kempf
(usual disclaimer)