Can I read someone else's environment?

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Thu Jun 26 15:55:12 AEST 1986

>> [wants to read another process' environment]
> If you have a nice system administrator, you could hack up the ps command
> to look at the environment [...].
>
> Just look at the code for the -f option and the rest should be quite
> trivial.

     Or,  depending on  your  system, use  `ps e'.   I assume the second
poster above was  on a USG system, our (4.2bsd)  ps has no f  option and
*does* have the  e option, which  is defined to print the environment of
the command.

     There is a problem with this approach; if the environment is really
big (more than about 1K for our system), ps cannot read it all.  I spent
some time grubbing about in  the sources for ps and the  kernel and this
would  NOT be easy to  fix (or if it would, someone please tell me how -
4.2bsd VAX).
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
        mcvax!seismo!cmcl2!philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse at uw-beaver.arpa

"Come with me a few minutes, mortal, and we shall talk."