CURSES on a AT&T PC7300

Mark Horton mark at cbosgd.UUCP
Wed Jun 25 02:59:51 AEST 1986

The version of curses on the UNIX PC (up to and including release 3.0)
is not an AT&T release of curses, but rather the Berkeley version.
While the AT&T version is mostly upward compatible with the Berkeley
version, it also has a lot of extensions.  It's those extensions you're
missing.

I understand that release 3.5 of UNIX for the UNIX PC will have the AT&T
curses on it, although I'm not positive about this.  Certainly 4.0 will.

If you get the source to the 3B2 curses, or a VAX SVr2 curses, it will
probably compile and run on a UNIX PC without much trouble.  I'm not
quite positive about this, because the SVr2 curses is an April 1983
version.  It was ported to a 68K machine slightly later, and I don't
know if these enhancements made it into what's on the 3B2.  (My guess
is that they didn't.)  I remember one problem with the getsh routine
in setupterm.c, and there were probably a few others as well.

If you get source to the System V Release 3 curses (which I recommend)
I'm pretty sure it will run unmodified (or with very minor changes) on
a UNIX PC.

	Mark