Variations across unices

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Thu Jun 26 03:27:13 AEST 1986

> Unless there was a good reason to incompatibly change the syntax of "tr"
> from what AT&T's own V7 supported, one could argue that the USDL perpetrated
> a bad joke on us all by doing so....

Unfortunately, the people to blame for the bad joke are not USDL but the
demigods who gave us V7.  V6 tr used the square-bracket syntax!  The
problem is not that USDL made incompatible changes, but that they did not
copy incompatible changes made elsewhere.  I don't see any easy solution
for this mess.
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology