Networking and such

Brandon Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Mon Jun 23 07:06:10 AEST 1986

Expires:

Quoted from <323 at lewey.UUCP> ["Re: Re: Favorite operating systems query"], by wje at lewey.UUCP...
+---------------
| > 		... DEC has over the years developed an excellent
| > layered system of hardware and software that allows the addition of more
| > machines without putting one bunch of users off by themselves on a separate
| > machine.  In fact to the users, Vax-clustering makes many machines look like
| > one.  There's no graceful way with UNIX to add a machine and not find that
| > you have to segregate some users from others.
| >
| > 		Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)
|
|      The above is not really true with respect to UNIX any longer.
| Several vendors offer working distributed file systems for UNIX.
| For example, NFS from SUN and TRFS from Integrated Solutions both
| allow easy expansion to new machines without segregating users.
| Also, Todd Brunhoff's RFS is included with 4.3 BSD, and has been
| distributed to the network.  It works with both 4.2 BSD and 4.3 BSD.
| Even AT&T will eventually release their RFS for System V Release 3.
| UNIX today, especially BSD UNIX, is much more sophisticated in this
| area than it was a few years ago.
+---------------

Not to mention Plexus NFS, which is a separate product from Sun NFS and has
been available for (at least) two years, running under System III and now
System V; it is Plexus's major product (look up ``plexus'' someday in the
dictionary).  Many computer companies now offer networking  (Yes, Plexus NFS
supports an rlogin-type interface; it's called ``vtty''.)

I do not work for Plexus; in fact, I'm currently having an argument with
them.  I only mention this to show an example of network abilities other than
the major ones (Sun, 4.xBSD).  There are no doubt other companies with this
kind of product.

--Brandon
--
ihnp4!sun!cwruecmp!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery at Case.CSNET ncoast!tdi2!brandon
(ncoast!tdi2!root for business) 6615 Center St. #A1-105, Mentor, OH 44060-4101