4BSD is dead???

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Jun 15 18:08:36 AEST 1986

In article <713 at wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> brett at wjvax.UUCP (Brett Galloway) writes:
>I am involved in some software development that relies on the 4.2bsd
>select() call, (select() blocks on multiplexed input). As near as I can tell,
>SYSV allows NO way to block on input from more than one file descriptor, short
>of doing a poll loop (yuch!).  Select() is a MAJOR feature missing from SYSV
>(which apparently is part of V8).

"Fixed in SVR3."

There are enough features in SVR3 that have no counterpart in 4.3BSD
that this would be a very good time to merge the functionality of these
two major UNIX variants.  I'm sure that several vendors will be trying
to do this anyway; the question is, can we get the principals to adopt
the combined version rather than continue to diverge?  Who gets to be
the keeper of the UNIX?