Not a typewriter

Mikel Manitius mikel at codas.ATT.UUCP
Thu Jun 19 00:10:44 AEST 1986

>>>What does the sys_errlist message 'Not a typewriter' *really* mean??
>>
>>I think there may be one or two system calls that will alter
>>errno to be 25, without returning a non-zero value, when in
>>fact there was no error.
>>                                     Mikel Manitius
>
>This is true. *However*, if you look at the documentation *carefully*, you
>will find that it says that errno is only valid if the system call preceeding
>it returned an error value.

Well, there is an exception. If a read or write is interrupted by
a signal, it will return 0 or number of bytes written before the
interrupt occured. In this case errno = 4, and no error code is
returned from the system call.
--
			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			...{seismo!akgua|ihnp4|cbosgd}!codas!mikel.ATT.UUCP