Observations (was: Gripes about /bin/sh AND /bin/csh)

Bill Shannon shannon at sun.uucp
Tue Jun 17 16:59:20 AEST 1986

> I'm told by some of the locals that when Sun bought their 4BSD license
> they went through the manuals and _TOOK_OUT_ a whole bunch of the
> "BUGS" section entries, because they didn't want to look bad! @$%*#%!
>
> (Then, of course, a whole bunch of other companies probably followed the lead)
>
>     ;-D avid  K eppel				    ..!ucbvax!pavepaws!keppel
> 		"Learning by Osmosis: Gospel in, Gospel out"

Not true.  I've heard the same rumor about DEC and Ultrix.  Many companies
also change the name of the BUGS section to something that doesn't give
such a bad impression.

You have to admit that much of what is in the BUGS section in most UNIX
manuals is not really bugs but rather random facts abut the program that
it would be useful for the user to know about.  At Sun we've tried to
clean up the documentation so that things that are not bugs are not labelled
as bugs.  After all, if they are bugs, why don't we just fix them?  Most of
them are instead limitations or restrictions of the current implementation.

					Bill Shannon