Gripes about /bin/sh AND /bin/csh (

rab at smu rab at smu
Thu Jun 12 11:05:00 AEST 1986

in defense of karl, i deal with users who daily come up with brainless
questions.  having a phd or being in the process of getting one has
NOTHING to do with one's level of common sense, or should we say,
uncommon sense.

90% of all questions asked by graduate students in my area could be
answered by reading the manual.  i am glad that someone FINALLY made a
point of this  -- in public.  if the person had enough nerve to ask
something like that in public, then they deserve to be answered in public.
i understand that phil may have had trouble reading through several
pages of information on each shell, but the shells do a lot -- and it
IS covered.  i have nothing against providing information, but there is
a proper way to request it.

as well, the tone of the original note came across as a DECite who was
exposed to this "horrible" os named UNIX.  i was about as incensed as
karl when i read the note to begin with.  i am tired of persons
who know little if anything about UNIX abusing it and berating its
abilities without substantiation.

i suppose it's no small wonder that UNIX has been around for almosst 20
years and is still the premier os on earth?

rick barrett
convex!smu!rab