windows on normal terminals

Derrell Lipman @ Lipman Enterprises, Los Angeles, CA derrell at lipman.UUCP
Wed Jun 11 11:10:42 AEST 1986

> In article <16600003 at ztivax.UUCP> david at ztivax.UUCP writes:
> >Therefore, it sounds like nice windowing systems for multi-user
> >machines are possible.  Anyone wanna make a $ million and start building
> >some?

I have developed a windowing system, called Multi-Shell, for normal ascii
terminals.  It has been ported to various 4.2 systems and System V systems.

Multi-Shell allows the terminal screen to be divided into as many as four
windows, with divisions being horizontal or vertical.  Programs running in
windows think that they are running on a terminal of the window size.
(The environment variables TERM, TERMCAP, LINES, and COLUMNS all get set
appropriately for the window.)

Multi-Shell will run on any terminal which has at least the following
capabilities:
  clear-screen
  clear-to-end-of-line
  clear-to-end-of-screen
  cursor up, down, left, right
  absolute cursor motion

If the terminal has more capability then these, then Multi-Shell takes
advantage of any extra capabilities (e.g. VT100 scrolling regions, insert
and delete line and character, video attributes, etc.).

Multi-Shell is not being distributed as public domain software, which is
why it has not been sent to mod.sources.  It is however, reasonably priced,
and distributed in source-code form only.  The reason why it is distributed
in source code form, is that a driver is added to the kernel for Multi-Shell
to operate.  Since some kernels are different than others, even of the
same version of Unix, the source code is distributed as some minor porting
may be necessary to any new system on which it is installed.

Contact me for more information, at:  ..!ucbvax!trwrb!ttidca!lipman!derrell

NOTE: I hope that this article is not too commercial for this network.
      I did not post anything about this until now, but it seemed relevent
      to the current topic of conversation.  If I was wrong to post this,
      I'm sorry.

   "The pioneers of a warless world are those young men, and women,
    who refuse military service."
				      -- Albert Einstein

   "Someday, the people are going to get fed up with this nonsense
    and they are going to DEMAND peace from their leaders."

				      -- Dwight Eisenhower
					 (President, General, Warrior)

   Derrell Lipman
   Lipman Enterprises -- Windowing for Unix on standard ASCII terminals

   {ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!ttidca!lipman!derrell
   seismo!vortex!ttidca!lipman!derrell