How Good is the AT&T 6300 Plus?

Wilkin gpw at ihlpf.UUCP
Sun Jun 15 08:41:20 AEST 1986

> In article <1286 at amiga.amiga.UUCP> mitch at horse.UUCP (Mitchell R. Gass) writes:
> >I haven't seen much on the net about the AT&T 6300 Plus.  Can
> >anyone tell me:
> >
> >  - how the UNIX available for it compares with versions of UNIX

>   I have worked with the at AT&T quite a bit from a tecnicians point of view
> . It has some major problems. I work at a computer store which pushes them
> pretty heavily, and I have noticed that thr return rate is pretty bad. We
> are always about 3 AT&T's behind sechedule. But, when one opens up the
> machine, the reasson is obvious. The thing is CHEAP. Lots of sharp aluminum,

FLAME FLAME FLAME (I JUST COULDN`T RESIST ) ;-))

What parts failed? Hard disks ? Floppies? Monitor? Assembling technician??
How about just a few facts????  JUST WHAT FAILS?
I wonder what would make metal worse than plastic ?

> things screwed to the motherboard, and other uglies. It is a two board computer

You mean to say I could run all sorts of hot expansion cards and NOT fry the
MAIN pc board. Neat, maybe I could buy one .

> with the mail logic board on the bottom and the bus on the top. Becasue
> of this configuration, (Or at least we think becasue of this) the RF is pretty
> bad. When the case is on, things are ok.....  but with it off, phew!

HEY GANG,  RF is bad with the top off!!!! I'll be dammed! OH GOSH,
What did you think the metal case was for anyway.

>   The pc compatibility is not too good. It is passing, (and much better than

Mine seem to run all the majors, lotus.... also check the compatabiltiy
of the ever popular IBM AT... I think we still do better than that machine.

> some unmentionable clones) but not as good as some others (like the ITT,
> compaq,etc). The worst thing about it is the nonstandard bus. For normal

Try Olivetti, or Xerox, or AT&T for 16 bit cards, we have a few, video, memory
,otherwise why not use ANY 8bit card (THERE ARE A FEW THAT DON'T WORK, but not
too many)

> cards, it works fine. AT&T was generous enough to provide a 16 bit bus, not
> unlike the AT. But- and here is the funny part- the 16 bit extender is 6
> inches from the regular bus. This means that the only 16 bit cards the AT&T
> can use are made by AT&T.
> No fun.
>

>    In the unix depdt. I am ignorant- I have never used it. Hope all this stuff
> helped-

You said it, not me.

> Joseph Russack
> !ucbvax!ucsfcgl!russack