obscurity

Snoopy seifert at hammer.UUCP
Fri Mar 14 13:01:24 AEST 1986

In article <173 at desint.UUCP> geoff at desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:

>> The hardware screws up and scribbles on the disk and you're complaining
>> about the software?
>
>Hate to introduce you to reliable systems, but yes.  A truly robust
>filesystem isn't bothered by little details like flaky hardware, even if
>you can't afford to replicate it.

Sorry, I disagree.  What do you do when the drive decides to write
stuff all over the disk?  What do you do when you get a head crash?
There are all sorts of things the hardware can do that a simplex
system just can't protect from.  Sure there are things that you could
do that would help a little, but don't kid yourself about immunity
to hardware failures.

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy