Are any parts of UNIX in public domain?

Joel West joel at gould9.UUCP
Wed May 7 23:42:26 AEST 1986

In article <393 at mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, henry at mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Henry C. Mensch) writes:
> 	Software is *not* printed material <although it is often
> represented as a list of instructions on paper, it is *not* printed
> material...
to say software that has been distributed to 100's of sites is
unpublished is questionable at best.  the copyright law was amended
in 1980 to specifically include software.

>  Unix(tm) is not issued for public sale; AT&T sells
> *licenses* to use the software -- they do not sell the software!

The claim that software is not sold -- only licensed -- is one that
someday soon will be taken apart by a court or legislative body.
It's a nice loophole that software lawyers (including our own) have
perpetuated for a long time, but it violates the most fundmental
precepts of contract law.  That's not to say that it won't be
replaced by something that addresses the copying, etc. issues.

When I go to B. Dalton, I don't buy a license to a book.  I buy a book.
I can't stick in the xerox machine and plagarize it, but I do OWN it.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037