Are these the disks for me?

Danny danny at itm.UUCP
Mon May 12 23:26:30 AEST 1986

In article <6666 at utzoo.UUCP> henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> The 3.0 MB/S CDC drive has the same MTBF as the eagle and eagle II...
>
>On the spec sheet, or in practice?  There is a difference.  The Eagles
>got their reputation for reliability from field experience, not because
>everyone was awed by the spec sheet.
>--
>Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

    Agreed.  But, we have gone ahead anyway, based on out experience with
our CDC 9715.

    We have installed a CDC 9772 drive.  It's been in operation
perhaps three months, without a problem yet.  We have serial #105 (and
according to our sales rep, serial numbers started with 100), and
everything seems kosher.

    One interesting anomaly, however.  We run System V.2 (called XELOS)
on a Perkin Elmer 3210.  After we started using the new disk heavily,
we started losing time on the system clock.  Not much, about 5 min/day.
All we can figure is that the controller is interupting so quickly that
the cpu misses some clock ticks.

--
                                                    Danny
Disclaimer:

XELOS is a trademark of Concurrent Computer Corp. (nee Perkin Elmer)
3210 is also probably trademarked by the same.
System V.2 is probably a trademark of AT&T.

It is better to light one small candle in the dark, than to get all hot,
bothered, and frustrated trying to light a grape.
--
				Daniel S. Cox
				({siesmo!gatech|ihnp4!akgua}!itm!danny)