Wanted: Pointers to Unix hosted on IBM 4381 (like 370)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun May 18 05:22:34 AEST 1986

In article <20653 at styx.UUCP> kehres at styx.UUCP (Tim Kehres) writes:
>In article <697 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.ARPA writes:
>>IBM offers a fully supported implementation of UNIX System V,
>>caleed IX/370, which runs on top of VM/SP.  This is almost
>>certainly your best bet.
>
>Only if you are not terribly interested in doing much with it.  It is
>VERY slow, especially when running multiple guest machines.  Amdahl's
>UTS I hear is a much faster UNIX.

I have only very limited exposure to IX/370 and none to UTS,
but the current version of IX/370 (single virtual UNIX system)
on a small 43xx didn't seem particularly slow to me.

My advice is to try before you buy.