terminfo, termcap, etc

Kenneth Ng ken at njitcccc.UUCP
Sat May 24 02:44:54 AEST 1986

In article <1624 at umcp-cs.UUCP>, chris at umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> In article <162 at njitcccc.UUCP> ken at njitcccc.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
> >In article <299 at enmasse.UUCP>, keith at enmasse.UUCP (Keith Crews) writes:
> >>While we are on the subject of terminfo, does anyone know of a
> >>documented list of terminfo entries that are sufficient to allow
> >>curses to work properly, if not optimally, in all cases?  [KC]
>
> >I have found that the minimal requirements are (I think): col
> >and row numbers, clear screen, cursor addressing, and indexing.
> >By indexing Un*x means the control sequence to scroll the screen
> >up a line.  [KN]
>
> Actually, at least under 4BSD, vi requires:
>
> 	1) cursor motion, including EITHER:
> 		a) up and left and absolute, OR
> 		b) up, down, left, and right
> 	2) clear screen
> 	3) screen size (`co#' and `li#')   [CT]
I thought I said that? Perhaps I should have explained it better.

> [And a bit off the beaten track---in fact in .signature territory:]
>
> >Vulcan jealousy: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stan over me"
>
> Actually, it was `Stonn'; I am not sure about the rest of the quote.
I stand corrected on "Stonn", it does sound closer to his
actual name. The quotes are, after the battle:
Spock: "Explain"
ToPring: "Specify"
Spock: "Why did you choose the battle, and my captain as your victor?"
ToPring: "I wanted Stonn, Stonn wanted me."
Spock: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stonn over me."

> But I do recall this (probably inexactly): `You may find that *having*
> something is not quite so pleasing a thing as *wanting* it.'
This is correct.

--
Kenneth Ng: uucp(unreliable) ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!njitcccc!ken
	    bitnet(prefered) ken at njitcccc.bitnet

New Jersey Institute of Technology
Computerized Conferencing and Communications Center
Newark, New Jersey 07102

Vulcan jealousy: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stonn over me"
Number 5: "I need input"