Are any parts of UNIX in public domain?

lkw at csun.UUCP lkw at csun.UUCP
Thu May 1 11:01:08 AEST 1986

In <197 at gilbbs.UUCP> Pnews thinks mc68020 at gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) wrote:
>> It is interesting to notice that the previously very small (and fast)
>> shell procedure /bin/true now has a size of 747 bytes and a doubled
>> execution time.
>
>   This may be so, but I hardly think it can be attributed to the addition of
>copyright notices.  All comments are ignored by the compiler, so there could
>be literally megabytes of comments related to copyright without affecting the
>size of the binary by even one byte.  I would suggest that you look for other
>explanations (maybe AT&T implemented /bin/true in interpretive BASIC? :-) )
>
>tom keller

Well, no, but they DID write it as an interpretive shell script, as the
original article noted.  Several megabytes of comments could possibly
have a detrimental impact on the runtime performance... :-)
(Sorry Tom, couldn't resist...)

Actually, /bin/true on our SVR2.2 (I think) system is exactly one line --
the SCCS comment statement.  /bin/false isn't much longer: two SCCS
comment statements plus exit 255 (oh my, did I just release proprietary
information?).

Disclaimer: Can you prove it didn't happen? (Criswell, PLAN NINE FROM
OUTER SPACE)
--
Larry Wake                   uucp:   {ihnp4 | hplabs | psivax}!csun!lkw
CSUN Computer Center         BITNET: RETPLKW at CALSTATE