4BSD is dead???

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed May 28 10:29:55 AEST 1986

In article <440 at geowhiz.UUCP> larry at geowhiz.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
>I have heard rumors (from cmu, uci, ucberkeley, and wisc) that research Unix
>will no longer be developed at bezerkely after 4.3.  I hear that Darpa
>support for such development has dried up.  I have heard that cmu has a
>OS called MACH (???) which runs 4.3 programs faster than 4.3BSD runs them,
>and that they may be taking over where berkeley leaves off.

I have not heard most of this; but as no one else has done so, I will
try to answer the questions below.  The only thing that I did hear is
that DARPA is not funding network development beyond 4.3 (the 4.3 TCP/IP
is `done', in someone's opinion, I suppose; and `the gummint' seems to
like funding project A for 5 years, then project B elsewhere for another
5 years, then project C at still another place).

Please note that everything below is also taken from rumours.  I speak
only for myself!

>What I want to know is:
>1) Why is Unix departing from berkeley?  Who initiated the departure, them
>   or DOD?

I know nothing about `departing'.  Why should a lack of DARPA money for
networking stop things?  There are many sources of funding.

>2) What's this about MACH?  I heard it's based on Accent, but I know nothing
>   beyond that.  Is the claim that 4.3 progs run faster possible?

Anything is possible; but I doubt that particular claim.  (Unless the
hardware is faster.)

>3) Is the DOD going to support cmu?

I do not care to guess who is backing the Software Engineering
Institute grants, but CMU already has piles of equipment, and seems
to be doing well in the research grant area too . . . .

>4) What about Version 8 Unix?  I hear (I know, I know, I hear a lot) that
>   it is very nice, almost a "clean" version of 4.x.  Streams sound very
>   nice....  Are there any plans to follow in berkeley's footsteps with
>   a version of unix based on version 8?

AT&T has, so far, released it only to a few universities.  And I
hear that they intend to sell it as part of System V release N (N
likely tending towards infinity :-) ).

>5) [This has very little to do with 1-4, I just thought I'd tack it on...]
>   What about a merger?

Berkeley would love to distribute lots of System V goodies.  The problem
is licensing.  Talk to the lawyers.  (This last is a pretty solid rumour.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu