Terminfo()--Ideas needed. System V

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.UUCP
Thu May 29 14:53:09 AEST 1986

Now you have me really confused. Ok, I believe that compiled terminfo
entries are much faster than termcap entries (of course, this goes against
the grain of current technological trends, on a 750 with 20 users, sure,
bring it on!, on a SUN/3 workstation? who cares. ok, it was written when
a 750 was still "a thing".)

But there's more going on. Why couldn't I create a compiled format for
termcap? Sounds like around, oh, a full day's work or so, use DBM for
the basic lookup and read in a pre-parsed, sorted/hashed table. I
could then just rebuild that whenever my termcap file changed. Could
even compile things like cursor motion into a faster format (or am I
missing a difficulty here, surely I could gain most of the speed back.)

Obviously there has to be something else here than raw speed. I've
never looked at terminfo much tho I have it on one of the machines here.

Why is this discussion centering around speed so much? Is that the only
issue? (particularly, speed of start up, I know CCA Emacs claimed that
with terminfo screen updates were around the same as custom C screen
handlers, parsing is long over by then.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University