unix help routines

Ted Lemon mellon at mit-prep.ARPA
Mon May 26 14:23:13 AEST 1986

?6c
>    I am interested in help routines for the unix system.  The manual is
>    ok but is very difficult if you don't know already what you are looking
>    for.  What I am interested in is a menu driven help routine similar
>    to VMS help.  Upon invocation, this routine would spit out a list of
>    topics and would prompt the user for a topic then a subtopic, etc.
>    Has anyone done anything like this?  Is anyone currently working
>    on something like this?  Are there any more redundant questions I can
>    ask?
?6c
Something like what you are looking for is already available.   RMS
has put together something called TexInfo, which combines Knuth's TeX
with the original DECsystem-20 (10?) Info program.   The idea is that
you can create one document which looks like a manual when you format
it for printing, and yet can be formatted so that it can be traversed
in a tree-like fashion, like VMS help only better.   TexInfo comes
with GNU Emacs, which is available on 1600 BPI tape from the Free
Software Foundation for a nominal charge ($150, I think), or from your
friends for free.

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon
Project GNU of the Free Software Foundation

UUCP:       {}!mit-eddie!mit-prep!mellon
INTERNET:   mellon at prep.ai.mit.edu
ORGANIZATION: Project GNU, Free Software Foundation,
	      1000 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA +1 (617) 876-3296
Also:	      New Media Graphics Corporation
	      279 Cambridge St., Burlington, MA 01803
HOME: 18 Kennedy Drive, North Chelmsford, Massachusetts