Flow Control Trouble with `lpd'

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Sat Nov 1 13:34:19 AEST 1986

In article <3650 at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs at mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) writes:
> When I write directly to (say) /dev/tty02 (e.g. with `cat'), all is well,
> but when I attempt to use lpd to manage the printer, Unix does not seem
> to honor the XOFF (and XON) characters sent by the printer [...]

	We had just this problem last week -- turns out that we didn't set
the tty flag bits right in /etc/printcap.  Make sure you're not running in
RAW mode; if you don't explicitly clear the RAW (040) bit in the tty flags,
it may end up set by accident.  You might also want to turn on the LDECCTQ
bit so only ^Q restarts output, just in case your printer like to send back
random trash between a ^S and the matching ^Q.  Try something like:

	br#9600:rw:fc#0000374:fs#0000003:xc#0:xs#0040040
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016