Programs knowing "root"

Paul R. Taylor taylor at oswego.UUCP
Tue Nov 4 00:48:40 AEST 1986

In article <619 at ssc-bee.UUCP> bossert at ssc-bee.UUCP (John Bossert) writes:
>Can someone supply me with a list of programs depending on the user
>with uid==0 having the name "root"?  Specifically, I'd like to know
>what would break if I renamed "root" to "mother", for example.  I'm
>primarily concerned with 4.[23] BSD, but the System V information would
>be valuable too.

we here running 4.[23] BSD and ULTRIX 1.2 have set up multiple users with
uid's == 0, the first one that is encountered in the passwd file is what
all of the programs that were owned by root are woned by. Eg. if mother
has a uid of 0 and comes before root in the passwd file then all of the
programs that were owned by root are then owned by mother. other than this
strangeness, we have found no problems with having more than one account
with a uid == 0.