KSH PSx won't quote exclamation points

Ed Horch ebh at cord.UUCP
Sat Oct 18 01:07:54 AEST 1986

In article <3957 at amdahl.UUCP> krs at amdahl.UUCP writes:
>In the Korn Shell (ksh), I'm trying to set my PS1 to include my system-
>name and userid as     amdahl!krs     and no matter how I quote the
>exclamation, it gets interpreted as the command process number.

Do this:

	PS1="amdahl!!krs "    # TWO !'s

The extra space at the end makes long prompts easier on the eye.  If
you don't want it, you don't need the "'s.

The two-! feature is (to the best of my knowledge) undocumented.  It
was a lucky guess on my part.  Any comments, Dave (congrats on the DMTS)?

-Ed Horch   ihnp4!cord!ebh