Looking through other users' (unprotected) files

jerryp at tektools.UUCP jerryp at tektools.UUCP
Wed Oct 22 03:07:46 AEST 1986

In article <810 at aimmi.UUCP> gilbert at aimmi.UUCP (Gilbert Cockton) writes:
> ...UNIX books and lecturers encourage the
> reading of files in other people's bin directories and up in the /usr
> partition. It's a good way of learning your way around UNIX.

Especially if you're interested in learning stuff that's not in the books...
like local programs available only on your system, and programs that other
users have written which might be useful to *you*.  Fortunately, a lot of
good books have come out recently... but a few years ago, reading other
users' files and asking "gurus", was almost the only way to learn.
(At places I've worked, anyway.)

> The question is though, how many people outside the friendly `snoop
> and learn' UNIX tradition feel there is a big difference. One systems'
> administrator I've worked with saw none whatsoever, and charged
> snoopers with gross moral deficiencies and latent hacker's syndrome.

The first things a new user should be taught include:
	- how to use "chmod" to make a "personal" (safe) directory and
	- how to use "chmod" to protect an individual file.
Not using "chmod", then screaming about someone reading your files, is like
not locking your house and complaining when a burglar walks in.

--Jerry Peek, Tektronix, Inc.
US Mail:    MS 74-900, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077
uucp:       {allegra,decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax}!tektronix!tektools!jerryp
CS,ARPAnet: jerryp%tektools at tektronix.csnet
Phone:      +1 503 627-1603