Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

John Plocher plocher at puff.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 16 07:45:54 AEST 1986

Gilbert Cockton writes:
>Phil Gustafson writes:
>>Many perceive a big difference between looking in the corners of a file
>>system and snooping through someone else's desk.
>           It's a good way of learning your way around UNIX.
>I'd be curious to see how many people see computer file space as personal
>space into which no-one should intrude, regardless of access permissions.
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I personally think that my directory is MINE.  But, as with a desk, others
may want/need to look at it.  Just as my desk has drawers with locks, my
directory has subdirs without rwx perms for {group,other}.  I feel that
'if someone can get at a file of mine, she can do whatever she wants with
it'.  If I am dumb/naive enough to give public write access to my home
directory, I shouldn't be suprised when someone adds a .rhosts file with
their name in it there. ;-)

  With the power of computers comes the responsibility of using that power
WISELY!
--
		harvard-\         /- uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)
John Plocher     seismo-->!uwvax!<