Wildcard-specs

John Owens jso at edison.UUCP
Fri Oct 17 00:21:21 AEST 1986

In article <77 at its63b.ed.ac.uk>, bob at its63b.ed.ac.uk (ERCF08 Bob Gray) writes:
> If I dig the code out of the archives, what sould happen in
> a command like
> 	cp **.c x
>
> where x is a directory. Should the shell quietly make new
> directories or should it issue seperate cp commands for each
> target directory, then let cp complain if they don't exist.

The pattern matching can't depend on the command; besides not fitting
the UNIX philosophy at all, it would be ridiculously difficult in the
code.  The above pattern match would have to expand to:
	cp a.c s1/stop.c s2/s3/foobar.c x
and cp would do what it does today, namely create x/a.c x/stop.c and
x/foobar.c .

John Owens		General Electric Company - Charlottesville, VA
jso at edison.GE.COM	old arpa: jso%edison.GE.COM at seismo.CSS.GOV
+1 804 978 5726		old uucp: {seismo,decuac,houxm,calma}!edison!jso