Flow Control Trouble with `lpd'

Jeff Siegal jbs at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 31 09:22:50 AEST 1986

I'm trying to connect a laser-printer to a 9600 baud line on a Ultrix
1.1 (call it 4.2 BSD) uVAX.  When I write directly to (say) /dev/tty02
(e.g. with `cat'), all is well, but when I attempt to use lpd to
manage the printer, Unix does not seem to honor the XOFF (and XON)
characters sent by the printer when its buffer fills up.  Data gets
lost.  How can I fix this?  I don't have the source code.  I don't
want to drop the baud rate, because this will greatly increase the
time to print graphics, down-load fonts, etc (and besides, it is only
a partial solution, not handling cases like paper-out, etc.)

Jeff Siegal