Looking through other users' (unprotected) files

Comfy chair ken at rochester.ARPA
Fri Oct 24 03:00:11 AEST 1986

Before the flames get too high, may I state that the Unix community
includes all types of environments, ranging from corporate to
research. It all depends on who you work for and with.

My point of view is that anybody is free to read anything I have left
unprotected. In a place like mine, it could be a hassle to have to wait
until one can contact me, since I come in at weird hours. If I want to
stop *casual* perusal, I protect the files. I never keep anything
sensitive on the computer, firstly for computer breakdown
considerations and secondly because I don't trust the security, knowing
how easy a determined person can bypass it.

But then I work in an environment where we don't mind letting fellow
grad students walk in our offices and borrow a book all by themselves
if they leave a note.

	Ken