nroff/tex

W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235 whp at cbnap.UUCP
Tue Oct 7 07:44:30 AEST 1986

In article <210 at NCSUVM> N38AA401 at NCSUVM.BITNET writes:
>... If I'd known how much
>better TeX is I'd have taken on a paper route to get my laserwriter sooner.
>
>The only disadvantage is that things like tbl and pic are missing in TeX.
>eqn is built in and far better in TeX.

Tbl is really a separate program from nroff.  It was written after nroff was
in use awhile to satisfy the need for column-type data (tables).  Pic was
written for the same reason.

Instead of writing tbl for TeX, you could use a spreadsheet program to
generate your tables, and simple include the outputed table in your TeX
file.  If you have a MacPaint type of program, or your spreadsheet program
does charts (bar, pie, etc.), you can just include these also.

Don't worry.  Someday someone will write a tbl for TeX (and we'll all have
to put up with tbl's syntax for another few centuries :-)

Wayne H. Pollock,
UUCP:	...{ihnp4,cbatt}!cbnap!whp
DELPHI:	WHP
GEnie:	W.POLLOCK

	"The opinions expressed above are ficticious.  Any resemblance
	to the opinions of persons living or dead is purely coincidental."