csh time command help

Jeff Collins collins at encore.UUCP
Sun Oct 19 01:40:13 AEST 1986

In article <219 at mipos3.UUCP> pinkas at mipos3.UUCP (Israel Pinkas) writes:
>Can anyone tell me what all the fields that the csh time command prints out
>are?  When I do something like 'time ls' in csh, I get:
>
>	1.3u 0.7s 0:11 19% 23+79k 3+0io 2pf+0w
>
>The man page for csh documents the fist 4 fields as user time, system time,
>elapsed time (all in seconds), and utilization (i.e. (u+s)/e).  I guess
>that the next fields are memory usage, io calls, and page faults.  What the
>numbers mean is not described.  Could anyone send me a definite description
>of the last 6 numbers?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Israel

	23+79k -- Average resident sizes of text and data+stack.  The numbers
		  are measured in 512-byte pages.

	3+0io  -- This is the I/O charged to the process (not necessarily
		  initiated by the process).  The 3 is the total number of
		  requests, the 0 is the number of disk accesses.  The
		  difference is the number of buffer cache hits.

	2pf+0w -- The 2pf is the number of page faults that required disk I/O
		  to read the page (known in unix as major faults).  The 0w is
		  the number of times ths process was swapped to disk.

						-jeff-