an idea for mouse-based editors

dave at murphy.UUCP dave at murphy.UUCP
Tue Oct 7 04:03:09 AEST 1986

Line eater: enabled

As long as we are talking about editors and user interfaces, how about
this: As several people have pointed out, one of the big problems with
mouse-based editors is that you have to take your hand off the mouse in
order to type.  Well, there is a company whose name I don't recall that
makes a one-handed keyboard.  (It's intended for people who have lost
the use of a hand due to accident, illness, or whatever.)  The thing is
dome-shaped and has several rows of about 10 keys and is supposed to be
able to transmit the entire ASCII character set.  (Most characters are
typed by 2-finger combinations; some require three fingers, but
difficult combinations like pressing down with your middle and pinky
fingers while keeping your ring finger up are avoided.)  Now, if you had
one of these beasties and could afford to take the time to master it,
you could type with one hand and keep the other on the mouse, full
time.  (Only trouble is, it doesn't leave a hand to drink your Coke
with.  :-))  The maker claims that it's possible, with practice, to move
along at a good 40-50 wpm clip, which is better than any hunt-and-peck
typist and some touch typists.

Of course, having to master a new keyboard runs counter to the primary
purpose of most mouse-based editors, which is to provide an interface that
the casual user can handle without a lot of practice.  Still, it's an
intriguing concept.  Any thoughts?

---
It's been said by many a wise philosopher that when you die and your soul
goes to its final resting place, it has to make a connection in Atlanta.

Dave Cornutt, Gould Computer Systems, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
UUCP:  ...{sun,pur-ee,brl-bmd}!gould!dcornutt
 or ...!ucf-cs!novavax!houligan!dcornutt
ARPA: wait a minute, I've almost got it...

"The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."