KSH PSx won't quote exclamation points

Kris Stephens krs at amdahl.UUCP
Thu Oct 16 09:09:41 AEST 1986

In the Korn Shell (ksh), I'm trying to set my PS1 to include my system-
name and userid as     amdahl!krs     and no matter how I quote the
exclamation, it gets interpreted as the command process number.  I even
tried saving the desired string in another variable and just including
the variable in the PS description.  Samples:

   PS1='amdahl"!"krs ...'   or      PS1='amdahl"\!"krs ..."
                           gives
   amdahl123krs ...         or      amdahl\123krs ...
   MYLOC='amdahl!krs'       or      MYLOC='amdahl\!krs'
   PS1='$MYLOC ...'                 PS1='$MYLOC ...'
                         also gives
   amdahl123krs ...         or      amdahl\123krs ...

How can I get a real printable exclamation into a Prompt String????

Thanks.
--
Kris Stephens     (408-746-6047)                 {whatever}!amdahl!krs
     [The opinions expressed above are mine, solely, and do not    ]