Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

Phil Gustafson phil at saber.UUCP
Wed Sep 24 04:51:55 AEST 1986

> Don't get me wrong, for a
> programming environment, I wouldn't pick anything but unix.
> ...  But for a lot of the
> routine stuff that gets done around here like business letters and memos,
> unix is just too much overkill, and too much stuff to learn.
> ... I would say we'd be better off with something like
> MacWrite or WordStar or whatever on some sort of PC.
> --
> Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy

Security is another important issue.  Much clerical data (pay rates, customer
lists, job evaluations) is much safer on a floppy disk in a drawer than on a
UNIX system.  Only constant vigilance can keep any UNIX system secure, and
that vigilance is most unlikely in an office environment.
All opinions except attributed quotations are mine alone.
Satirical comments may not be specifically identified as such.
--
Phil Gustafson			Voice:	(408)435-8600
Saber Technology Corp.