Porting UNIX Applications to the Mac

Pierce T. Wetter wetter at tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu
Tue Sep 16 08:40:35 AEST 1986

In article <15372 at mordor.ARPA> jdb at mordor.UUCP (John Bruner) writes:
>  I am far more productive with "vi" on UNIX than with any of
>the mouse-based editors I've run across on the Mac.

  Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
     Considering my experiences with vi (holding the up/down/left/right keys
causes some versions to delete random snatches of text) this is the most
hilarious thing i've ever heard. When I'm programming  the thing I do most
often is move around in the file. You cant tell me that pointing and clicking
with the mouse isn't faster then banging away on random cursor keys. It's true
that you can go directly to a specific line number but you can't easily go up
five lines and over twenty characters. Also a mouse based editor is much easier
to cut & paste in (which if you looked at code I've written  you'll know why
I like this--" Who needs a for next loop I'll just paste it in five times")

     Also, you need to move your hands away from the "home row" whenever you
hit the escape key or any other "control key". The mouse isn't any worse
( unless you have an infinate typing speed). However, there is one small
thing I should mention, I'm using a trackball instead of a mouse (desk space
Yay!!!!!!!). If you are using a mouse on a towel (yucky surface) I might
believe you but otherwise. Snicker Snicker...

Nuff Said

Pierce wetter