Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235 whp at cbnap.UUCP
Thu Sep 11 04:55:22 AEST 1986

I am a programmer who write many documents, and I have used many different
editors and word processors.  While I like by vi and emacs very much, and use
troff and TeX too,  for business applications word processors have a big
advantage over the editor-formatter combination: speed.  Most documents are
revised several times, tables are moved around, differents fonts are tried, etc.
The change-print-change-print cycle of a word processor is perferable to the
change-format-print-change-format-print cycle.  Of course for simple documents
such as letters, this doesn't matter that much.  Other factors which are
important in the business environment are ease of use and learning time, and
flexibility.  The newer word processors have this, especially when used in
conjuction with spread-sheet programs (which give you tables that rival any
that can be produced with tbl).
When writting that important article for Newsweek though, the flexibility of
TeX comes in real handy.  Or for classy looking sales brochures and
prospectuses.

Wayne H. Pollock,
UUCP:	...{ihnp4,cbatt}!cbnap!whp
DELPHI:	WHP
GEnie:	W.POLLOCK

	"The opinions expressed above are ficticious.  Any resemblance
	to the opinions of persons living or dead is purely coincidental."