Unix, vi, nroff, and troff for businesses

Cherry.XSIS at Xerox.COM Cherry.XSIS at Xerox.COM
Fri Sep 12 07:03:00 AEST 1986

Vi, et.al., are not that user friendly by themselves however, their programatic
interfaces are such that, given the right terminal, and a top layer to these
editors, they can be made pretty easy to use and learn.  Sure the programmer
or admin must write the "user layer" but when you have options such as EXINIT
as variables which may be set when invoking the editor, it isn't that bad.

A non-computer type person may then, for example, type to the terminal 'blank
memo' and the layer program uses various controls to start vi, setup function
keys on the terminal, read a pre-made memo form and let the user start editing.
When the person quits the editor, then the "layer program" comes up and asks
the user what they want to do with the file (mine is menu driven) and that's
about it.  My whole layer program is just a script file so that it is easy
to change for different users.

Using predefined variables, redirection, and functions can greatly improve
the user interface for ex, vi, troff, nroff, etc.  I agree however that in
their raw state thay would be too confusing for the office type user.  The
programming environment of Unix is a great starting point but I'd never use
it as the "final" product.

B.C. & Zot