Porting UNIX Applications to the Mac

ir450 ir450 at sdcc6.ucsd.EDU
Sat Sep 20 08:21:51 AEST 1986

To add to the mouse vs vi editors debate, I will tell my story.

At work I use this nice SUN workstation, and I use the mouse only to
switch between screens, and evry so often, I will cut and paste with it.
I use only vi on this system (4.2) and I can quickly and easily produce
anything I need.

At home I have an Apricot running MS-DOS and GEM. It takes average 4
hours to write and perfect a simple one page letter using its mouse
based editor. It takes forever to find anything in the letter, and
almost that long to move through the letter. I also hate having to move
my hand from the mouse to the keyboard continually.

I have NEVER had ANY experience with vi removing text and doing the
wierd things that the previous posters have stated, even when I was a
beginner with vi. It has ALWAYS been the best editor I have used. I
think the reason for this is that you can use whatever level of
expertice you want. If you are a begineer with it, you just have to know
how to insert, delete and save a file. With other editors I have tried
to use, you must know almost everything about it, just to get started.
Except of course for mouse based editors, which tell you nothing and
give the begineer no useful features.

Obviously, I have used the vi editor to write this followup, and I can
tell you that I had no problems doing so.

Brian Keves			ARPA:	keves%ra at sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
Lab for Math and Stats		UUCP:	sdcsvax!ra!keves
UCSD, La Jolla, CA	 	PHONE:	619-450-6421
Any opinions expressed are my own and are not the opinions of my employer.
Brian Keves			ARPA:	keves%ra at sdcsvax.ucsd.edu