Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

Noemi Berry noemi at moscom.UUCP
Tue Sep 16 21:39:57 AEST 1986

>>>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>>>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS
>>>APPLICATION environment?

>>Yes, I think you're wrong.  Secretaries don't have time, nor do they usually
>>want to learn something like Unix.  They will prefer EVERY TIME something
>>which works as similarly as possible to their typewriter.
>>[...]
>>Paul.

>I think that you are wrong, Paul.
>[...]
>One need not even let the secretary know that Unix is the system she
>is working on. [...]  A customized environment is not a bad way to go
>in UNIX provided there is a clever administrator.
>Mark

	 And what average law firm or office *has* this clever administrator?
Who wants to devote a lot of time (read: money) to learning a system that for
office word-processing purposes is really overkill?  Even in companies with
lots of computer-literate people, the word-processing is better off done in
more idiot-proof environments.  UNIX *can't* be beat for R&D, but for a typical
office environment where the most knowledgable computer person really could be
a secretary?  I'd recommend something *meant* for businesses.

noemi berry
{allegra|seismo}!rochester!moscom!noemi