problem with tail -3540

Thomas J Keller mc68020 at gilbbs.UUCP
Thu Sep 18 14:56:54 AEST 1986

   For some reason, expire doesn't trim my history file when it runs.  This
results in a rather largish history file accruing in my lib/news directory
pretty quickly.  I tried to use tail to  trim the head end off of the
history file and output the result to another file, but it won't work.

I typed:

tail -3540 history > newhist

what I get is the last 72.? lines of history.  Interestingly enough, the
output file is *ALWAYS* 4096 bytes in length.  On my system, that is the
size of a pipe buffer (am I saying that right?).  In any case, I can't see
any reason why this should be the case.

Oh...I am running XENIX 3.0 on a Tandy 6000.

please ***HELP***??????

--

Disclaimer:  Disclaimer?  DISCLAIMER!? I don't need no stinking DISCLAIMER!!!

tom keller					"She's alive, ALIVE!"
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)